The Guacamole Burger a la Bobbie’s Dairy Dip in Nashville.
Back when our friend Claire Mullally, owned Bobbie’s Dairy Dip, a ‘50s style ice cream and burger drive-in, she organized Sunday night parking lot jam sessions to drum up a little business in the cooler fall months. Where else but Nashville can you see CMA and Grammy Award winners and nominees play for tips and a side of sweet potato fries? The jam band was complete when a cab arrived straight from the airport carrying Claire’s husband, songwriter/musician Greg Trooper, just landing from a tour with John Prine.
The standing room only parking lot was rocking with loyal Dip families filling up on live music, behemoth burgers, and soft-serve sundaes. The only thing missing was a beer truck. Claire juggled the kitchen, the counter, and managed to sing back-up on a cranking cover of Love the One You’re With.
Our version of the Dip’s guacamole burger is a beauty, featuring a juicy beef patty adorned with cheese, a smear of guacamole, salsa, sour cream, tomato and onion, and jalapeño slices instead of pickles.
Might as well make some fantastic potato salad to go with it! Cook the potatoes perfectly in the microwave.
Speaking of great sandwiches. We love a sandwich with a thick slab of smoky chubb bologna cooked in the crock-pot.
- 6 grilled burgers or cheeseburgers
- 2 ripe medium Haas avocados
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 6 large hamburger buns, toasted
- Salsa, to taste
- Sour cream, to taste
- Sliced pickled jalapeños, to taste
- Lettuce leaves, fresh tomato, and red onion slices
- Grill the burgers/cheeseburgers to your liking.
- Mash avocado flesh with garlic salt and lemon juice until chunky/smooth in a small bowl.
- Place burgers on the buns. Top with a generous dollop of guacamole, salsa, and sour cream. Add jalapeno slices, lettuce, tomato, and onion.