Spicy Oven Sweet Potato Fries make a wonderful supper side dish or a cocktail snack.
Here’s a great cocktail hour idea for you–slice sweet potatoes into thin rounds and bake them in the oven. In this recipe we go with a straightforward blend of spices–just garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper for a little heat. Change up the spices as you like. A little cornstarch in the mix helps the spices adhere to the potatoes.
We think the round slices look coolest on the platter, but any shape works as long as it’s thin and a little crisp. You really don’t want a bite of soft, mealy potato when enjoying a great cocktail.
Added Bonus–oven fries reheat easily so you can make them ahead of time and warm for a few minutes in a hot oven or toaster oven.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat the oven to 450° F.
- Cut the potatoes into thin disks or wedges. Toss them in a mixing bowl with the cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and drizzle with the oil. Toss with your hands until they are well coated.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and toss them around with a spatula.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the edges are crispy and browned.
- They reheat well. Place the cooked oven fries in a 450° F oven for about 5 minutes.