Cheater Smoked Chubb Bologna–make it in the crock-pot and make a nice sandwich and make a lot of new friends.
Confit of jerked rabbit with leek and lavender jus, roast quail with pomegranate chutney aioli, crispy skin salmon with lemon grass and ginger-infused broth with a horseradish shellac…Enough!
When back-yard “barbecues” morphed into stainless outdoor kitchens with infrared burners, warming drawers, and satellite dish hook-ups, life got too complicated. This alone, made R.B. want to move inside and spend more time with his family.
The reality check for the overwrought food movement? Smoke a big chubb bologna in the slow cooker. It might just be one of the best tasting, most under-wrought meats around. Who needs charred tomato tamarind glaze anyway?
This already-cooked, no mess, freezable “sausage” is easier than burgers, especially in the slow cooker. Put thick slices of chubb in the slow cooker sprinkled with a tablespoon or two of liquid smoke, cover and cook on high for a couple hours. Think of the possibilities.
Give the brats a break and boost tailgating team spirit with a load of bologna patty melts oozing with cheese and grilled onions. Lighten the mood with cracker chubb mini bologna burgers. How about teriyaki glazed bologna with pineapple chunks in lettuce cups. One thing’s for sure, serve chubb bologna and you’ll quickly find out who the fun people are. Send the jerked rabbits home.
- One 3 pound big chubb bologna, cut into 1/2 to 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- Place the chubb bologna slices into a slow cooker. Pour the liquid smoke over the slices.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours
- Ask your doctor if Cheater Smoked Chubb Bologna is right for you.
- Chubb Patty Melt--Chubb bologna slices with melted cheddar and sautéed onions on rye.
- Philly Cheese Chubb--Chubb bologna slices stuffed in a crusty sub roll with cheese sauce and sautéed peppers and onions.
- Barbeque Slaw Chubb--Chubb bologna brushed with barbecue sauce on buns with mustardy slaw
- Chipotle Chubb Burger--Chubb bologna with melted pepper jack cheese, lettuce, fresh tomato slathered with a blend of chipotle pepper sauce and mayo.
- Asian Chubb Lettuce Wraps--Toss chubb bologna with teriyaki sauce and pineapple chunks. Wrap in lettuce cups.
- Cracker Chubb Mini Burgers--Fill soft dinner rolls with chubb bologna, your choice of melted cheese and a pickle slice. (Cracker chubb is the smaller bologna with rounds that fit on a cracker)