Hot Oven Roasted Cabbage Wedges (and Warm Slaw)
Hot oven roasted cabbage wedges and warm slaw are among our most reliable cold weather sides. Roasted cabbage goes with absolutely anything you’re cooking for dinner. The taste and smell are rich, earthy, and unctuous. Sliced in wedges the cabbage cooks up quickly in a hot oven, it’s as cheap a vegetable as there is, and it’s another healthy element to your modern-era sometimes less-than-balanced diet. Unless you’re a Hollywood player in which case your diet could balance back toward a ribeye and a side of carbonara.
There’s almost nothing to do for this dish. While the oven heats cut the cabbage head in half and core. Cut the halves into about 2 inch wedges and place in a roasting pan. A gloss of olive oil, Kosher salt and pepper, and into the oven. In about 20 minutes at 425 F you’ll start to smell the cabbage. You can take them out at this point or, as we do, leave them in another 10 minutes to develop nice charred edges.
Kitchen Tip: Cabbage is a hearty vegetable and can hang out uncooked in the fridge for days. Keep one in the crisper drawer like you do a bag of peas in the freezer or a can in the pantry.
Here’s all it takes to get them ready:
- 1 head cabbage, red or green, cored and cut into 2-inch wedges
- olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oven to 425F.
- Place the cabbage wedges on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil gently move the wedges around to coat lightly with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the cabbage until it is charred to your liking, at least 20 minutes.
Warm Cabbage Slaw
Go one more step and make warm cabbage slaw. A sharp knife and a steady hand and you’ve got a pile of even cabbage shreds. Roast the slaw with a couple teaspoons of sugar and then toss the warm cabbage with vinegar or lemon juice and celery seeds. A bonus and unexpected cold weather cabbage side. Pairs with everything.
- 1 head of cabbage (about 12 cups)
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- About 2 teaspoons vinegar or fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Sprinkle with celery seeds or poppy seeds
- Heat the oven to 425F.
- Remove the outer layer of the cabbage, cut it in half, and slice the halves into ½-inch sections. Discard any thick piece from the core.
- Place the cabbage on a half sheet and drizzle with the oil, tossing to coat with your hands for a glassy look, but not swimming in oil.
- Season the cabbage with sugar and salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until crisp tender with golden brown edges.
- Toss the warm cabbage with the vinegar and celery seed or poppy seed.
- Substitute seasoned salt for the kosher salt and add any other seasonings you like.