Cheater Foie Gras is so out it’s in. Pair it with pimiento cheese on green apple slices for a fun party appetizer.
Recipes, like everything else fashionable, rise and fall with popular perception. They’re in, they’re out, they’re hot, they’re hopelessly la
Liver has never caught the wave of coolness, unless it’s taken from a force-fed goose. Even liver as haute couture foie gras is on the OUT list, branded as inhumane and even outlawed in some places.
Slumming with ready-to-wear liverwurst, on the other hand, is looking pretty fresh. Why shouldn’t it? Liverwurst has plenty in common with foie gras, especially its color and buttery smoothness when it’s blended with cream cheese. Instead of slapping it on rye bread with mustard, serve it with the sweet flavors that commonly adorn foie gras and your perception will instantly change. Cheater Foie Gras is absolutely one of R.B.’s favorite cheater recipes.
- 8 ounces braunschweiger, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grained mustard
- 1 tablespoon bottled smoke
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Melba toast or crackers of your choice
- Green apple slices, dates or figs
- Pick your favorite garnishes
- Hot pepper jelly, fig or cherry preserves, orange marmalade, smoked paprika
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and blend together with a fork until creamy.
- Pile the mixture in a crock or bowl. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Serve as a spread with your choice of garnishes and serve with crackers or slathered on apple slices, figs, or dates.
- Great paired with pimiento cheese.